Updated: I've asked the writer of this post to update this post so that it doesn't cause any confusion trouble to anyone again. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused previously.
How to convert AA to Mp3 for free?
Audiobooks that you bought from Audible.com are in .aa or .aax format with DRM (Digital Rights Management) copy-protection, and those files can be only playback on AudibleReady devices like Kindles, iPods and listed Mp3 Players. If you want to play Audible files on any portable device freely, you need to remove DRM from Audible AA files and Convert AA to MP3 format. How to do that? In this guide, I will show you 2 different ways to remove the DRM protection. One is free way (for advanced users), the other one we do it with commercial software (much easier) but it is NOT free.
How to turn .aa into .mp3 for free
The tool we need:
1. Audible membership and Audible software
2. Nero Burning Rom 7, 8 or 9. I will explain it by using Nero 8
3. A CD emulator such as Magic ISO
4. Windows Media Player 11 (WMP)
Step-by-step guide here:
1. Download your Audiobook files via the Audible Download Manager on your desktop.
2. Open Nero Burning ROM and select Audiobook CD from the menu, then click New
3. Drag and drop your .aa file into the blank workspace on the left then click Burn
4. On the next screen, click Burn again
5. Choose a location to save the files then click Save, and then Autocreate File Names
6. Once the process is done, open MagicISO
7. Click the Open Image File icon
8. Click the Extract Audio Files icon
9. Choose a file save location, check the Using MP3 Encoder checkbox, then click OK
10. Finally, repeat steps 8-10 for the rest of the discs in the series
How to convert AA to MP3 with 1 click
Step 1: Import AA audio files
You can simple dragging-and-dropping files to the program. Those files will be loaded into the program.
Tips:You can import .aa and .aax files together.
Step 2: Set output file format
Choose "MP3 (MPEG Layer-3)" from the "Audio files to" drop-down list.
Step 3: Start converting AA files
Press "Start" button. It will start to convert audio files. When the conversion is finished, click "Find target" button to open the output folder all converted files are now should be in .mp3 file format.
That's it. You can now feel free to enjoy your Audible files on any music player.